Kartridge supports two different types of Downloadable Content (DLC):
- Has no additional files.
- Unlocks content in the base game.
- Ownership is verified via an API call.
Additional File DLC
- Contains additional files for each supported platform in a Zip archive.
- The files inside the DLC Zip will be extracted alongside the base game in the same directory.
- If you have duplicate files, the files in the DLC package will overwrite the ones from the base game once installed (not generally recommended).
- Optionally includes an executable that will be launched instead of the base game.
- Ownership and install status is verified via API calls.
Tips & Tricks
- You may specify a required DLC game that must be owned before the user is eligible to purchase another DLC. This allows you to set up requirement "chains" for episodic content: Episode 3 requires Episode 2 requires the base game (Episode 1).
- DLC can not be purchased unless the base and required game (if defined) are owned by the user.
- The user can currently update DLC independently of the base game, so any version/compatibility checking is left up to the developer.
- Each DLC must include a unique name. If you are releasing multiple DLC's that have similar names and content, consider modifying the name to ensure that they are easily differentiated.
Article is closed for comments.